Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Catching Up....

I apologize for the lack of posts recently. I was focused in on the season and with the start of the A10 slate and our first home games of the year, I had a lot to do. Being a coach at SBU requires to go above and beyond so when the home slate starts, I become not only the head coach but grounds crew and game day set up man.

It was quite the weekend with Rhode Island and Umass in town. Rhody came in riding a pretty impressive 4 out of 5 wins and that made me a bit nervous but when the bell rang, the Bonnies came out swinging. A great game pitched by Jen Sansano and a 3-run homerun my junior captain Jessenia Andujar gave us a quality 3-1 win in game 1. Game two was once again dominated by Jen Sansano until the 7th inning when URI made a 6-1 game a 6-5 nail biter. Senior Diana Phalon came in and shut the door. She is one of the most mentally tough softball players I have ever coached on the field. She hates to lose and gets every ounce out of herself in big situations. Our wins moved us to 4-2 on the young conference season.

Sunday was a bit different. Umass came to town playing with a purpose. Head Coach Elaine Sortino made her fight with cancer public and for the first time in my 16 years, she was not on the opposite bench. I have to say...it was a bit strange. Umass dominated the games and came away with 2 wins. The Bonnies did what we had to do. We made sure we were at least .500 and in one of the 6th playoff spots headed into this coming weekend with Charlotte. Losing is NEVER a good thing but the positive we take out of it is that most likely everyone is losing to Umass. So we should not lose any ground to anyone ahead of us because of the two losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment